Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Baby Blessings















Sunday our friends and my mom threw us a beautiful "Baby Blessing." It was meaningful and beautiful in so many ways, and it reminded me of how we have just felt like we are riding a wave of blessings for this baby. I can't believe how blessed we've been with help and good wishes and hand-me-downs, and now this.

It was really special that Jeff and the guys were included. As it turns out, all the guys there were parents and it felt good to acknowledge the importance of that. We don't believe that Mom is "parent plus" and Dad is "parent minus." God made families unique -- everyone is important. It was so wonderful of our friends to support that. And it was the first time I've heard the words "catalytic converter" at a baby shower! It really added something.... ;)

The next wonderful surprise was all of the gifts. We did not register and, in the interest of voluntary simplicity, we asked that people please give second-hand gifts, homemade items and/or big bargains. Well our wonderful friends and family did an incredible job! We got so many beautiful, useful things. And there was a lot of thoughtfulness in terms of getting things that were environmentally conscious and/or natural. I could cry just thinking of how much thought people put in to getting things that we could really use. We truly, truly loved everything.

The things we will both remember forever, though, were the last two things that happened. First, they went around the circle and each gave a reason that they thought Jeff and I will be great parents. Lots of eyes got misty! It was so encouraging to hear all of that as we brave the adventure and transition to parenthood. Then they prayed for the baby, which was so meaningful and important to us.

So, to our amazing friends and family: THANK YOU!!!

2 comments:

eleanor graham said...

I'm so happy for you guys! I only wish I could be there! Just know that I'm sending all my love and support and prayers your way.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blessing to have such dedicated friends. I've seen you at church but I don't think we've met, yet. I will keep you in my prayers as you near the arrival of your little one into this world. The miracle of birth...how very blessed you are!