Friday, March 12, 2010

Bibliophily and Illness

I come from a family of book lovers. We read often, quickly, out loud, everything. We recommend books to each other (although we each have distinct taste, it overlaps) and passionately discuss them. If you get either one of my parents to talk for any length of time about education you will discover that they are big believers in self-educating and I'll bet a lot of money that the words, "Just read books!" will escape their lips at least once.

My family of origin has also always been really... dorky and embarrassing in a lot of ways (please, nobody find any pictures from the 80's or 90's!) but I was never, ever ashamed of our book habit. Nothing in me has ever thought, "I just wish my family didn't read so much!" I love it. And, especially in the years since Jeff and I killed our TV, I carry on the family tradition with gusto. And my influence is spreading. Jeff is reading Harry Potter and many, many days Lilia wakes up signing "book" and saying, "BUH! BUH!!!" over and over until we give her one or read her one or both. Mwahahahaha.

Poor little Miss Lilia has been a little under the weather for most of the week, and I have hated to watch her not feel good. But imagine my joy when her relaxation of choice was to sit with Mommy and read a book! She got her own little spot and her own little book and seriously and very quietly turned the pages, just like me. Oh Lord, please let me bottle just a little bit of this and keep it forever!




For books I love and can't get enough of myself, please see the list to the right of the blog.

1 comment:

~Beth D. said...

"I just wish my family didn't read so much."

I love it! I have to agree that of all the things that DO embarrass me about my family, READING is definitely not one of them!

So very cool about Lilia. My son got very quiet, so I knew he was up to something. I look into his room and he has all of his books out around him and he's looking at the pictures, turning pages! This was many moons ago. If he gets into trouble, we take books away and that is just the end of the world. too funny!