Sunday, January 2, 2011

Baby Carrier Reviews

I've owed everyone this post for a while! People often ask me, "what is the best baby carrier?" This is my answer:

The best baby carrier varies. It depends on how much you want to adjust/wrap/tie, your frame and the personality and age/size of your baby. I use only 2-shouldered carriers (people LOVE slings and they will not cause back problems but can exacerbate problems like mine). I also have very chill babies who love to be worn, but I don't know whether that's because I've always worn them, or the carriers are comfortable, or it's just their personalities. Two is a very small control group!

In terms of comfort for baby, you should look for something that supports the baby's legs in a "seated" position all the way to his/her knees. rather than dangling their legs from the hips.

So that's where I'm coming from and here's my experience:


Moby Wrap:
  • Least expensive and possibly most comfortable carrier I've used
  • Lots of wrapping and tying! If that intimidates you, try something else
  • Use You Tube as your instruction manual
  • Too hot for me in Phoenix summers
  • The only carrier I've owned that the babies don't seem to mind me sitting down in.
  • Easy to buy and sell on Craigslist, easy to make if you're crafty (I'm NOT!)
  • GREAT for inconspicuous breastfeeding if you want to learn how
  • Folds up tiny for travel
  • IMO uncomfortable with babies over about 20 lbs
  • Extremely versatile, but I found front facing in was by far easiest.
Kozy Karrier brand mei tai:
  • Easier to wrap and tie than Moby, not as easy as Ergo or Pikkolo
  • Folds up tiny for travel
  • Comfortable to maybe 25 lbs or so
  • Neat patterns if you like that, usually has a plain side as well which is nice if Daddy doesn't like patterns
  • Cooler for summer wear
  • Extremely versatile: front, back, side facing in. Pretty sure it does front facing out, but my kids don't like that so far.
Ergo Baby Carrier:
  • Extremely easy to wear, but take the time to make sure you've got it on correctly. Have somebody check it if it doesn't feel great!
  • Pretty sure I could wear a 5-year-old in this carrier. Ridiculously comfortable up to about 40 lbs, I think.
  • Has a pocket for binky, cell phone, burp cloth, whatever
  • Bulky on someone with a small frame
  • Mostly pretty plain, dad-friendly patterns
  • Best padding on the shoulder pads as well as the waist band.
  • Sleeping/breastfeeding/sun hood is attached and easy to use, but I find this one hard to nurse in.
  • Front, back and side carry are all pretty easy to use, side takes a little education
Pikkolo from Catbird Baby:
  • Most versatile carrier, IMO. Great for newborn (with no insert) all the way to big babies (with support belt), facing in or out, front, back or side
  • Less bulky than Ergo, but less padded too
  • Straps cross in the back which is more comfortable for me with narrow shoulders
  • No pocket -- bugs me!
  • Easy to use -- nearly as easy as the Ergo
  • Pretty cool with air flow for summer
  • Hood is not attached, easy to lose. So is the strap for wearing it on your back and the support belt, if you buy that
(FYI, the names are links to where to purchase. No, nobody sent me samples or gives me money for recommending!)

No comments: