Friday, January 7, 2011

A Learning Home



Ask my mom why she home schooled us and she will reply, "I wanted you to be peer independent and I wanted you to be life-long learners." Then she'll give a wry smile and say something like, "I think it worked out pretty well, don't you?"

Truly, my sister and I have reaped huge benefits from her work. We read like crazy, live for discussions of great ideas and generally love to learn about nearly anything.

My mom and I had a discussion recently about what we should call what we did. The term "homeschooling" brings to mind desks and assignments and grades -- school at home -- which couldn't be less like what we did. After extended discussion we decided to call it "a learning home."

We were absolutely learning all the time.

We read books together (a lot of them out-loud), went to museums and parks and monuments and science centers, we did road trips and learned everything we could get our hands on. I have more fond memories of my childhood than I could ever describe.

I think my whole adult life I've been excited about providing that for my kids -- a space that's enriched and exciting, where the world is opened for them to explore. It's absolutely wonderful that Lilia's getting to an age where she can enjoy these things with us and we're having a great time teaching her!

And I'm so blessed to have so many rich memories of my own "Learning Home" to call upon.

Thanks, Mom.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Hear, hear! Yay for Lawrence Hall of Science, dinosaurs and model space shuttles from the 'educational shops', and visiting the Revolutionary War battlefields in Boston. And yay for buying your 11-year-old daughter a college-level textbook when she thought she wanted to be a horse vet!

Thanks, Mom. xx