Saturday, January 1, 2011

How to Use Your Voice

"Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee."

A voice is a huge responsibility. An intelligent voice, especially an American one, can have a huge impact. I've thought a lot lately about how I want my children to use theirs.

Mom's guide to using your voice:

  • People are afraid of technology, but I think what you say and how you say it matters a lot more than where you say it.
  • Be the same person face-to-face, when people know you and hold you accountable, as you are online.
  • Never, ever forget that every person you talk to or about was carefully made by God and when He finished, He was proud of His work. If you treat them like they are worthless, you are disagreeing with God. That's a dangerous place to be.
  • Telephones, letters and the internet are powerful things that can make your voice available to more people. Try to think of someone who doesn't have a voice and needs help and use those things to speak for them.
  • Jesus was near to the brokenhearted but didn't give them much advice.
  • One of the most powerful things you can say is "I'm sorry." As soon as you know you've said or done something wrong don't rest until you can say it to the person you hurt.
  • Always try to learn before speaking.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

WOW Alyssa - thank you for these words of wisdom! You said some things that I really need to take to heart!