Saturday, December 4, 2010

How I've Changed


Everyone knows that becoming a parent has the power to profoundly change you, but it's amazing to look back and see it. As with any other life experience, the opportunity to change is granted to everyone but not everyone takes it. I try to force myself to not just survive, but really experience it all the way and be changed by it.

Looking back, I'm excited to see that I've actually changed in a few ways! Big girl! :)
  • I have better perspective most of the time. I naturally prioritize things in my head a lot faster and more accurately the first time.
  • I multitask about a million times better.
  • I have a lot more grace for other parents. I know how hard it is, I know that there's more than one way to do it and I know nobody does it perfectly.
  • I am significantly less apologetic about my life. I have an inner strength that (I will swear until the day I die) came to me with my first pregnancy. I treasure it.
  • I have a greater sense of purpose. I am literally on a mission from God to raise these children up into all God has for them. I will do it or die trying.
  • I accept help more readily.
How has parenting changed you?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm a lot more patient than I've ever been ... loud noises don't bother me much anymore (LOLLLL!!!) and I notice other people's children a lot more in a positive way! I love being a mom!

~Beth D. said...

When I see a homeless man, I think about that man's mom and how sad she must be. I think about how I would want someone to have compassion on my own son if he were ever in that situation. Instead of thinking negative things, I say a prayer and hope for an opportunity to do something good.

Famof5 said...

I love reading your blogs Alyssa! I couldn't sleep so been reading all of them! and they are just great :)
I think we all go through similiar struggles-joys-fears being a mom, and you are able to put it into words so well written.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this one!