Friday, August 1, 2008

On to new old things

I decided I wanted to be a teacher at about the age of 9, as nearly as I can tell. Odd for a home schooled kid, but it was a passion and I pursued it. I planned on teaching English until I met Ms. Perpall, my high school choir teacher. She was amazing and inspiring and valued the work that I put into choir enough to give me a lot of opportunities. In a way, she saved my life. I had been in such a spiral before.... Anyway, I decided to teach music and off I went to college.

I got my first teaching job at the age of 21 and, other than a brief and painful stint as a claims adjuster, it's the only professional job I've ever had. And I love it.

So it was odd to come to summer this year with no plans to teach in the future. I had told my school that they should probably get a music teacher who could teach all year, and that I was only willing to teach through January. They hired someone. It was finished. I got a temp job in a local insurance office.

My school, however, called me in a panic to say that the music teacher they hired had decided on a different school at the last minute and asked if I could come back until I have the baby. First I freaked out, then I agreed. Now I'm excited. Putting off a career change for an extra five months sounds fabulous.

Here's hoping this is my best (half) year ever!

No comments: