Friday, June 26, 2009

Help and Appreciation

Being a full-time parent is exhausting and amazing at the same time. Anybody who's done it knows that, but I'm not sure it's possible to understand it if you haven't been there. (The questions I get hover between insulting and hilarious....) I certainly didn't "get it" before I made the big leap!

Last weekend I started to feel really overwhelmed, thinking of the task of packing our life up in a week. But I was stopped in my tracks when I read Judson's story online. It's the story of a little boy who died of a rare illness just shy of 3 years old. It was a five-tissue read for sure, but it will stick out in my mind for more reasons than the emotions involved. The faith of both Judson and his family left a permanent impression on my mind of what a difference perspective makes. Those of us who believe that this world around us is not the only thing there is have a different perspective on everything -- including suffering and death and... parenting.

When I read it I was totally overwhelmed by Lilia's needs for that day. She was teething and it was exhausting to me. But reading about Judson made me realize two things: First, that there are no guarantees, so every day with a person I love is precious. Second, that everyone needs a break. Just because I'm home doesn't mean I'm present, so it suddenly became clear to me that I really need to do whatever it takes to be present with my daughter every day. And for me, this week, that has meant asking for help.

And my friends are amazing. Just amazing! Jaime was here Monday, Andrea and her kids were here Tuesday and Tracy AND Eliecia and the girls came on Wednesday! The loved on Lilia, helped pack, made food, whatever. It was wonderful. I wish I'd thought of taking pictures of it all on Monday, but alas I figured it out towards the end of Wednesday. But I got a cute one so here it is:

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Loved being able to help you and it was such a chore having to hold Lilia all that time! LOLLLL!!!!!