Friday, June 5, 2009

Finding a Tribe

When Jeff and I were first married our friends were pretty much the same friends we'd always had. Jeff met most of them before high school (one in third grade!) and I was graciously grafted as though I were native to the tree. We are still friends and they are accepting, loving people. It's wonderful to go through life stages together and see each other on vacations.

When we moved to Arizona, we were blessed with a fabulous church and an INCREDIBLE life group. They are honest and deep and caring. We often wonder what we would do without them.

Now that I'm living on baby time and we are living in a different part of town, I'm learning that every momma needs a tribe! And that tribe really needs to be down the street, not a ways up the freeway.

Old friends feel great. And it's especially great to see that we really don't lose friends, we just get new ones! But making new friends makes me a little nervous....

It's scary to have a need. Ever noticed that? It breaks the "I'm fine" rule, which is a very important rule in a lot of circles. Especially in our country. Everyone is an island, or wants to be. But islands are lonely people. And to say, "I'm lonely" is very scary for a lot of people. It brings up memories of junior high lunchrooms, doesn't it? But closeness is created when we share our needs and allow others to meet them. And God gave us loneliness so we would make friends and families! It's a good, normal thing. So today I looked up playgroups, stroller strides groups and MOPS groups. And I felt so encouraged. Here's to finding a tribe!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love that word to describe a group of kindred spirits -- Charlotte uses the word tribe all the time in that sense, and I think it's perfect. Now instead of saying, "She's nice, you'll like her," or "She seems like she'd get along well with our friends," we'll just say, "She's in the tribe," and we'll both nod knowingly. :)

Anonymous said...

Amen! Praying that you find a local tribe :)