Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Minus One

I miscarried yesterday. It was really, really sad. I had no idea how sad I would be when it was so early. My wonderful cousin said, "When a woman finds out she's pregnant, she starts to bond with that little baby. It doesn't matter how early." So true.

There's such a depth to the emotion going on inside of me that it seems strange to be able to summarize it by saying that I'm really sad, but that's what it is. Not really all too complicated, just big. And heavy. I don't feel good (it seems so wrong that it should make your body exhausted and achy to lose a baby! It feels like salt in the wound.), I'm tired, and I have waves of this big sadness at random times. Other times I feel completely fine.

Yesterday was a really, really bad day all around. Everyone I know seemed to be grieving some terrible news at the same time! But I was able to go to a friend's house who had lost her job about an hour before my miscarriage (I brought chocolate!), and we just cried together and felt better that we weren't alone.

So, as always, there's a blessing in the storm. I won't say there's a silver lining because nothing can make it okay to lose a baby, but God's whispered love seems to follow me into the valleys, no matter how dark they are. We will leave our life and our family in His hands today. Tomorrow has enough worries of its own.

5 comments:

eleanor graham said...

oh love! I'm so sorry. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug... Take care of yourself.
Prayers and so so much love,
Eleanor

Erica said...

Really, really wish I could give you a hug.

Love you, sis.

Tracy said...

I wish I could do more to help you through this time, you can always call - and I'll just listen if you need!

Anonymous said...

Oh Alyssa, Oh my gosh... I want to ball my eyes out. I've been terrible keeping in touch since I deleted my FB. I will keep you and Jeff in my prayers. We definitely need to hang out soon.

Michelle said...

Oh, I'm just now reading this (very behind on my blogs), and wanted to let you know you are in my prayers!