Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gratitude

Every night when I close my eyes to pray, the first words out of my mouth are "Thank you, Lord." We are so blessed. We have been so blessed.

Jeff and I married 5 years ago today. Lest you (my one reader) forget, I came thisclose to a disastrous, abusive marriage and was saved by the grace of God. Then I went to counseling, learned a ton about myself and found that the love that I'd always wanted was not "out there," but up. God had loved me madly the whole time.

And the partner He had for me had been under my nose for almost a decade.

It took so much for me to see what I already had, but now I "get it" every day. Jeff is a rock. He is a better partner than anyone I could've imagined for myself. He is compassionate, hilarious, responsible, genuine, and of course... hot. :)

Side by side we've grown so much in the past 5 years, planted so many seeds and seen so much fruit.

We have a marriage that is deeper and more solid than either of us ever imagined. We have many close friends who know us well and share our lives and allow us to share in theirs. We have families that love us. We own our first home. We have enough money to squeeze by on one income so we can invest the maximum time into our kids. We have two running cars!

Most of all, we have two happy and healthy babies that have taught us so much and given us so much love.

Thank you, Lord.

4 comments:

JeanneB said...

And I wake up every morning and say, "Thank You, Lord, that I have 2 daughters who have husbands who love them and would NEVER hurt them." We're so proud of you two, and how deliberate you are in raising your family "under God." Love you!

Ali said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon your blog tonight, but looking at you thanking God for blessing you, has turned around truly blessed me.

Happy Anniversary!!! I remember when you had just escaped that relationship, and we met up at a Bible study one rainy night. It was good to see us both turning towards God for help and change. Look what God had in store for you! I'm so happy to see your little family doing so well <3.

Mel said...

Happy Anniversary friend :) You really are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Alyssa :) I'm so happy for you and Jeff. You have such beautiful kids and it's such a sweet blog post.