Sunday, February 8, 2009

Big Little Things


I am so filled up by everything. I've missed taking the time to reflect and blog, and I'm excited to have a little crack of time to do so this evening!

First, dinner. Jeff made me a belated birthday dinner (we scheduled this before my birthday -- he didn't neglect my birthday, there was just too much going on!). It was, as always, perfect. And his care in preparing it, as always, nourished my soul. Great food has always been a big part of our relationship. So to sit down with the most amazing husband in the world and eat duck, garlic mashed potatoes, artichokes and creme brulee brought back everything. Napa, New York, our first Christmas dinner on the floor under the tree, great restaurants, great plans, great wineries, the story of our love. I am struck, yet again, by the grace of God that He didn't let me miss out on my opportunity at a rare love.

We talked over dinner about how excited we are to be parenting Lilia Joy. We thanked God for her again in our prayers. One thing that I've thought of over and over in the recent days is the fact that I've been so blessed to be here for every moment of this precious time with Lilia. I'm going to miss this stage a lot, but it is a deep joy to know that I haven't missed a thing. Such a blessing to be able to be at home with my precious little baby girl! I've taken some pictures, but there are many more that will remain forever in my mind. Some "mental pictures" I've taken:

--Jeff and Lilia asleep, snuggled up together. They have the same mouth, positioned exactly the same way when they sleep. And wherever he is, she snuggles up close to him. But she doesn't have very good head control, so she ends up sort of tossing her head in his general direction. It's the sweetest thing!

--Lilia staring up into my eyes as I hold her. Again, she will throw her little head around until she's at such an angle that she can look right up at me.

--Taking a nap with her snuggled on my chest. She goes right to sleep. She's so trusting and loving already!

--Jeff and Lilia waking up in the morning. They often yawn together, stretch together, etc. My heart could explode, seeing the one love of my life reflected so perfectly in the other.

--Lilia trying to tell us things. Especially when she's crying. It makes me very sad to see her cry, but it's so sweet how she intently looks at us with her pleading eyes, like she just needs someone to listen.

--Her very serious "feeding face." Hands on each side, brow furrowed, eyes staring intently ahead, nose crinkled. I love it.

--Her yawns, which are always followed by a little expression with pursed lips, eyes closed and eyebrows raised.

--Her hands when she's calming herself down. One fist in her mouth, the other on her cheek or the side of her head. It's so cute!

--Her sudden sleepiness when you gently rub her head. Gets her every time.

There are so many more, but now I miss my baby too much to stay at the computer any longer.

No comments: