Friday, October 8, 2010

Prayers for My Children


Borrowing children from God is a huge responsibility. Little immortal seedlings entrusted to your care really make you think about what's important. I wrote about what I wanted for Lilia before she was born but now I think about it, in some form, every day. What do I want for my kids?

When I pray for them at night, I pray that God will pursue them relentlessly for the rest of their lives so that His grace will be behind every door and around every corner no matter where they go or what they do. I pray that we can create a home that is founded in His grace. I pray that they put their whole lives in His hands, that they marry the right person or stay single according to His calling, and that they live a life that is truly their calling, the purpose that they are created for.

I've been reminded a lot lately that there are no guarantees about how long we will have them or what we can do for them. But there are two guarantees that give me a lot of peace: First, there us a God who loves my kids more than I do, and second He listens to our prayers.

I am filled with gratitude.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for the reminder that I'm borrowing Joshua from God! This whole post is a great reminder for me!

Debbie Sigrest said...

This is lovely. Every mother should feel this way about their children. I only hope when I have kids, they wont have to go through the tough times I did. But I will feel better knowing that if they do, they will always have God.

Anonymous said...

You always manage to say what the rest of us have a hard time putting into words. Love ya.

~Beth D. said...

You have a way with words! I have been trying to get my husband to talk this way! I mean that Nick is a gift from God and we need to take care of him in that way!