Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Midwives and Houses and Teeth, Oh My!


Three basically unrelated updates today:

1. Went to the International Midwives' Day Celebration at Papago Park yesterday. It was lovely and sweet and hippie all over. The best part was seeing Sue, our amazing midwife, and finally getting a picture of her holding Lilia. She has the sweetest, most calming spirit. That's definitely a good thing in labor!

2. We saw and made an offer on a house this morning. We love the area, we love the floor plan, we love the front and back yards. We don't love the super 70's kitchen but these things can be updated in time. We're learning not to get our hopes up with each offer in this market. We could end up getting many offers rejected before someone accepts one. This house already has one other offer in, so they're looking for our "highest and best." We gave it to them according to our budget. So here's hoping!

3. A wonderful Bradley friend, Liz, e-mailed and suggested that Lilia's recent craziness could be due to teething/preteething. (Interestingly, our amazing midwife, Sue had suggested that she might be teething when we were going through something a little while ago, but it had gone away on its own so I didn't think much of it.) I looked in our fabulous Dr. Sears bible of babies and sure enough it seemed that Lilia is showing many signs of teething. So I called the pediatrician to ask what they recommend doing to help her with the pain and help her sleep. I left a message with the triage nurse. Well, I got a call back saying I needed to take her in today! The nurse even asked how far we live from the office and made an appointment in like 30 minutes. It scared the heck out of me and I actually cried on the way to the doctor. Of course it was in the afternoon so I was flying solo.

Well we got to the office and our pediatrician basically confirmed what I thought -- teething a little early. Nothing to be worried about at all. I posted on Facebook asking for advice and many folks recommended Hylands teething tablets, which are homeopathic and said to work wonders. I went right out to Target and got some, used them tonight and Lilia is sleeping peacefully as I write. Thank you Lord, and thank you to all those who suggested Hylands!

Now I'm going to go sleep peacefully. :)

No comments: