Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Progress!

One of the things that has always amazed me about human beings is our lack of perspective. We think things will always be exactly as they are now, whether that is good or bad. We also think we are all average -- that most people are a lot like us. We have this interesting way of looking at things that is limited by our location.

But today God graced me with something I desperately needed but didn't ask for: a slightly broader perspective. I was thinking back about the whole struggle to take care of myself and to get sleep. There was a moment there when I truly thought that motherhood was simply too much for me (looking back, I think that moment was the turning point -- giving up was, as it always is, the beginning) and I didn't know what to do. Today is a much better day. We've gotten to where Miss Lilia will take naps in her co-sleeper (used to only take them on my person in some babywearing device), I am in my own routine that helps me sleep better and also feel better on a daily basis, Jeff and I are in a much better groove of communication. We don't have hours-long crying spells anymore, we haven't had thrush in a month, life is much better than it was.

And we are so very blessed and so, very, happy.

Here is my favorite memory from today:


3 comments:

Michelle said...

Eww, I had thrush with both my babies too...it's awful, glad yall are over it!

Anonymous said...

:) we read that book today too, although olivia is not very good at story "listening". If I'd taken pictures, it would look much different. Iris is way ahead of her sister in manners at story time...for now.

You know, everytime I think we've figured stuff out, and gotten into a routine, they switch it up on me and we're back to square one. How's that for encouragement? :)

-melissa (because it won't let me leave a comment the normal way)

Alyssa the Ragamuffin said...

It's not so much a feeling that "we've finally got a routine!" (I'm over that, I think!), but that looking back I'm getting a lot more sleep than I was, I shower nearly every day, and life is a lot better than it was. Not a straight line, but generally going up. That's a nice feeling for me. :)