Saturday, May 30, 2009

Quick Bonus Tidbit -- one more thing to be thankful for

I just read this article on MSN and it made me smile a little. The title is "Sexy Rich People: You Should Feel Bad For Them." It summarizes a study of recent college graduates (psychologically surveyed at one and two years after graduation) with some surprising findings. A few highlights:
  • The people who were making the most money and were happiest with how they look showed the most signs of depression and anxiety
  • The people who had the highest quality relationships and volunteered in their community were the happiest
Every once in a while I imagine myself in the shoes of, say, Reese Witherspoon (who I adore, by the way). First I think it's nice to have a lot of money and people looking up to me, but then I think how much I miss just going to the grocery store in sweats with no make-up, or walking in the park with my dog, or knowing who my real friends are with certainty. Than I thank God that nobody knows my name unless they know me, and that I don't have paparazzi following me and that people don't have expectations about how I should look or act. And I think that there are so many wealthy and famous people who spend their whole lives going after what I have and never finding it: a deep sense of purpose in my life, peace with who I am and with God's love for me, a husband whose love is true and real and daily, a healthy happy baby, and family and friends who know me inside and out and love me deeply.

I am so rich and famous! Yes, I struggle, but I'm even blessed that I can do that so openly and have faith that my friends won't try to judge me or fix me. Thank you Lord for my life!

No comments: