Monday, January 26, 2009

Babywatch Update

Patience is, apparently, a virtue.

Our amazing midwife, Sue, came and checked everything out a few hours ago. Effacement has improved, dilation has not. She said she sort of figured that with the kind of contractions I'm having. Not super constructive in terms of dilation. The good news is that I'm not real uncomfortable, but the bad news is this "limbo land" could last a while and my body is doing it for a reason. She thinks that if I'm well-fed, well-hydrated and well-rested, real good labor could set in on its own.

Before she came I talked with her on the phone and basically said we would either like to dial it up or down -- either encourage my body to sleep or get into real good labor. Given the dilation situation, we all decided it would be best to try to dial it down. I'm eating right now, then I'm going to take a bath to try to calm the contractions down and then take some measures to get some sleep.

We'll see where we're at in the morning. For now, this will give me and Jeff some good time to process everything that's happening. I'm on total emotional overload right now. A bath and some good sleep will definitely do me some good.

Speaking of doing me some good, I just need to give a shout-out to Eliecia, who was amazing all day today. It was so fun to converse with her, confess my feelings of frustration in these uncharted waters, ask questions, etc. PLUS she's bringing me a donut tomorrow. :) Thanks Eliecia!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I'll be praying that you get a GREAT night's sleep - both of you!!! Good luck and God bless you both!

Anonymous said...

Still praying for you! You can do this, and it will be an amazing birth story. I can't wait to hear all the details.

Janet said...

Awww Alyssa - I know it is hard to be patient through all this with nothing happening. Part I remember well with mine, but know that we tend to forget some of the frustration later. I think God programmed us to do that so we have more kids! ;)

Anyway, she will come in God's time. She is late on man's time, but hey, what do we know anyway. Stay comfortable, rest as much as your body will let you and know that very, VERY soon you will be holding the most precious thing you've seen!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to good news, Alyssa. No doubt you are doing this very well :)
Love & prayers,
LauraJ, aka GrannyLaa